不是運動迷,也能搞懂運動英文的巧妙|EF ENGLISH LIVE部落格


如果你是EF English Live部落格的讀者,就會發現英文的慣用語真是千奇百怪、無奇不有。所以你必須要 “think out of the box” 才能把慣用語學好,以下我們要學的這些與運動相關的慣用語當然也不例外。

母語外師24小時線上陪你練英文!填表預約試聽,進一步了解自己的英文程度!現在就來體驗線上開口說!

Call the shots  – 發號施令(源自撞球)

I’m stepping and calling the shots from now on. Everyone gets back to work immediately.

我從現在開始要介入並發號施令,每個人現在立刻回去工作。

Drop the ball – 犯錯、搞砸(源自球類運動)

I can’t believe I dropped the ball. I completely forget about Jessica’s birthday.

我不敢相信我搞砸了,我完全忘了Jessica 的生日!

Down to the wire – 直到勝負分曉的最後時刻(源自賽馬)

I know it’s down to the wire and we only have one day to make this happen, but don’t give up now!

我知道現在是決定勝負的時刻,我們只有一天的時間,但現在還不能放棄!

Hit your target – 達成目標(源自射箭)

If we work hard, we can still hit our target and sell more than last month.

如果我們努力的話,還是可以達成目標, 讓銷售成績比上個月更好。

Hit below the belt – 暗箭傷人(源自拳擊)

I can’t believe he went ahead and pitched the idea without us. That was a real hit below the belt.

我真不敢相信他背著我們提出這個構想,真的是暗箭傷人。

Take sides – 選邊站、偏袒(源自團隊運動)

You and Tom really need to sort out your issues. I don’t want to take sides with either of you any more.

你和Tom應該要好好解決你們之間的問題,我再也不想偏袒任一方了。

Get the ball rolling – 開始某件事物(源自球類運動)

Let’s get the ball rolling on moving the furniture. I’ll grab the chairs.

我們開始移動家具吧,我來搬椅子。

Make the cut – 過關、符合標準、晉級(源自團隊運動)

Congratulations on making the cut everyone. You three have been hired out of 40 applicants.

恭喜每個人都過關, 你們3位已從40個申請人中被錄取了。

The ball is in your court – 現在該由你採取行動了(源自網球)

You can either sulk all day or go up and apologize to her. The ball is in your court.

你可以整天都不高興或去向她道歉,完全由你自己決定。

Blind sided – 始料未及

I was completely blind-sided. I never thought she would do that.

我完全始料未及,從來沒有想到她會那麼做。

welcom to EF English Live

運動英文